The Baobab tree is the proverbial gift that keeps on giving.
The tree mainly grows in the arid and harsh desert regions of Africa. With its swollen trunk and weird-looking branches, the baobab resembles a tree that’s been stuck into the ground, upside down.
In the rainy season, the Baobab stores enough water to help it survive the coming dry season – hence the swollen trunk. It also uses this period to bear huge, green, edible fruits that have a citrusy taste.
Do you know what’s weirder?
These fruits can stay up to 6 months on the tree and basically dry themselves up – a tree has to survive, you know.
The dried fruit forms a hard casing around the dehydrated pulp, which is collected, and crushed to form the Baobab powder that we know and love.
This superfood is nutrient-rich and has a ton of health benefits. They are:
- It’s highly nutritious. Baobab fruit powder is enriched with a plethora of nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin B6, niacin, iron and potassium, calcium, protein, fiber, and at the same time, it has little to no fat.
- This high fiber content also helps the body absorb more glucose from food instead of storing the excess in the blood, and in this way, blood sugar levels are reduced. Fiber also nourishes your intestinal bacteria – yes, you have those – and prevent intestinal ulcers.
- Another baobab powder benefit is its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that protect the body from free radicals and reduces inflammation in your cells.
- It improves liver function and thus enhances the detoxification of your body. Consider putting a few spoons of baobab into your daily smoothie for that clean, fresh feeling.
- Since our body can’t produce vitamin C, we need to get it from fruits and supplements. Organic vitamin C supplements are better because your body can absorb it faster.
And boy-oh-boy, baobab has got lots of that. Did you know that a 100-gram of baobab fruit pulp has almost ten times the amount of vitamin C in 100 grams of oranges?! You can pick your jaw up from the floor now.
This vitamin C helps to repair cells, boost and sustain energy release, while also fortifying the general immunity of the body. Vitamin C also helps the body produce collagen, which is needed to keep the skin looking fresh, firm, and healthy.
You also need vitamin C for better iron absorption, especially pregnant women. So instead of continually popping iron pills, try eating foods that are iron-rich with a nice baobab and orange drink and watch the difference.
And for our physically active audience who are always on the go, this is for you.
Baobab powder is the ideal energy drink. It reduces fatigue, and the presence of high levels of magnesium, calcium, and potassium helps you maintain those elusive electrolytes. Also, soreness after exercises would be a thing of the past once you incorporate baobab juices into your pre and post-workout regimen.
Now you’re ready to start your powder day fresh and ready to shine with a sprinkle of baobab in your morning shake. Don’t hesitate, act now.